Sunday, March 30, 2008

Micro Meal



First harvests not made by voles! Greens growing in hoop house #1 needed thinning, so we have thinnings in our supper. Not much food I admit- a little Red Russian Kale, Siberian Kale, Chard and Spinach- enough to fill a very small bowl. According to "Johnn's Selected Seeds", this is called "micro mix" and is popular at finer restaurants (and seed houses everywhere no doubt). Not only are we going local, but we're going gourmet. Those voles are on to something!
Of course as I sit here congratulating myself, I wonder if we can consider that the plants I am growing are local enough. The seed comes from elsewhere. Johnny's is in the state of Main, but I know that seeds are purchased from growers all over. Perhaps I take this a little far...




No comments: